Wednesday, July 04, 2007

4th of July Ride

For the last six months I have been steadily training with my wife & her TEAM in Training group for their first Olympic distance triathlon. The constancy of my training was the best it has ever been. However I will not be doing an Olympic distance race in 8 weeks, I will be doing the Louisville Ironman. Note to self don’t train for an IM race using an Olympic distance schedule….haha. I’m sure all the die-hards & experts out there cringe when they hear of “my training methods”. So cringe away because I know it ain’t how things should be done, but I now have 6 weeks before the 2 weeks taper to make my situation a little better come race day.

So July 4th my sister, who is a tri-stud, & I go for my first somewhat long ride on the IM course. We set out from St. Francis School on 42 and rode the course loop back to the school totaling just over 40 miles. The ride was awesome. We rode past all kinds of horse farms, some deer ran along next to us for a few seconds, & turkey buzzard flew over us at one point. I’m not sure if he thought that once I got to the top of the hill I would keel over and he could get a few bites off me. If he was smart he would have show up at around mile 30 of the ride because that’s about when I felt like laying on the side of the road for the scavengers to pick me apart. I finished the ride well behind my tri-stud sister. She is an absolute monster on the bike especially when lots of hills are involved. I then topped the workout off with an easy 10 min run.

All in all, I am happy to have gotten out there today. Happy 4th & God Bless America. Now I’m going to watch all the Rocky movies on TV....truly American.

No comments: