Thursday, July 26, 2007

80 Something Miles

Last weekend was a big training weekend for me. You see, when I did Ironman Wisconsin last year my longest ride I completed was 60 miles!!! Not exactly the smartest way to prepare yourself for one of the most “grueling endurance events” out there. This year my preparation for Ironman Louisville hasn’t been exactly by the book, but my training has been extremely consistent & I am happy to say that I have gotten multiple 50-60 mile rides in and am feeling stronger every week. Now it was time to do that little bit longer ride of 80 miles that I never did last year.

Once again the weather was being kind to us as we set out on the course. There were a ton of triathletes out riding, politely waving as we passed each other. Hey all you road racing peeps out there, I know it’s not “cool” to acknowledge other bikers as they pass...especially a bike with aero bars. I’ll still give you the head nod or flick of the wrist when I see you, or maybe I’ll just sit up and yell “good morning!”. All of us triathletes will always remember that YOU are the coolest ones on the road...haha.

Our ride finished up at about 83 miles, which included lots of hills, and I felt surprisingly good. We ran for 30 minutes afterwards and called it a day. Went home and hopped in a refreshingly cold pool for a little bit and relaxed. Only a couple more big weekends of training left.

2 comments:

Kylie said...

Cool to find another doing IM KY on here :) I like waving to and saying hi to other bikers, too.

Anonymous said...

Avoid leaving your beach cruiser out in the rain or outside overnight if dew is a possibility for the next morning.
bike basket